Monday, August 20, 2007

Italian Sausage with Bowties

Italian Sausage with Bowties
-Simple and Delicious

1 package (16 oz) bow tie pasta
1 lb bulk Italian sausage
1/2 Cups chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) Italian stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 1/2 Cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried basil
shredded Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion, garlic, and pepper flakes over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the tomatoes, cream, salt, and basil. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta; toss with sausage mixture. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.

5 servings

My Notes
Didn't add onion (as usual) or pepper flakes (didn't have). Subjected my family to the tortures of grated cheese, yet again. I made 2 lbs of pasta, so I used 2 cups of cream, 2 cans of Italian diced tomatoes, undrained, and added 4 oz of sliced mushrooms, drained. The sauce never really thickened up for me.

Reviews
Josh didn't even want to try the sauce, and he's a sauce boy. Caleb said he liked it. Perry and I weren't wild about it. The only seasoning came from the sausage- the sauce itself was very bland. It really needed the pepper flakes. I don't know if it was the headache I had at the time, but I felt really nauseous for a long time after eating this.

No comments: