Sunday, June 3, 2007

Gyro Burgers

Greek food and Italian food are my downfalls. I dragged the family 30 minutes away to go to a Greek festival, where my kids discovered the joy of gyros. They wouldn't touch the dolmades or spanakopita, but I didn't mind, since that meant more for me. My oldest daughter won't touch hamburger, but I thought I would try this to entice her. I started out with a recipe from a supermarket magazine, but I changed just about everything, so I'll just post my recipe.

Gyro Burgers

1 egg
2 lb hamburger (I used chuck since it was on sale)
3 slices bread (I used 2 hot dog buns since they were all I had)
6 oz plain yogurt
8 oz sour cream
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
4 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
6 pita bread rounds
lemon juice
garlic powder
oregano
pepper

1. Mix hamburger, egg, bread, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano (spices to taste). Form into
patties (I ended up making about 8- 1/2 inch thick, 3 inches wide, and 5 inches long). Fry in
skillet (or grill) until done.
2. Mix yogurt, sour cream, garlic powder (to taste), and a few splashes of lemon juice together.
3. Serve patties on pita lined with cucumber and tomato slices. Cover with yogurt sauce.

My Notes:
After the patties were cooked, I sliced them in half, widthwise, and put them in the pitas, which I had cut in half, for the kids. The original recipe shows just placing them on a whole pita, but I figured a pita pocket was the neatest way to go. I also added feta cheese to finish mine.

Reviews:
Perry, Caleb, and I really liked this.
Josh just ate a patty with ketchup.
Mischa ate the cucumbers, tomatoes, and licked the yogurt sauce from her hamburger. She wouldn't eat the hamburger.

1 comment:

Real said...

Awwww. I remember how you love Greek food! I've always been a fan of gyros. The rest is growing on me. I told my husband I wanted greek food for my birthday.